The Chairman, Independent National
Electoral Commission, Prof. Mahmood Yakubu, has defended the
commission’s decision to declare the recent governorship elections in
Kogi and Bayelsa states inconclusive.
He said the inconclusiveness of the elections was a reflection of the competitiveness of elections in the country.
Yakubu argued that elections were
getting better and this could be the reason it was becoming difficult to
have a clear-cut winner immediately.
He added that the use of the card reader
for elections had come to stay in spite of the hitches experienced in
the use of the device in the 2015 polls.
He insisted that the process of
declaration of winners of election, as contained in the electoral laws,
would never be compromised.
While the Kogi election had been concluded, the commission has yet to fix a date for the supplementary poll in Bayelsa State.
Yakubu spoke in Abuja on Tuesday at the
11th public lecture of The Electoral Institute titled, ‘Between refuge
and rights: internally displaced persons and inclusive electoral process
in Nigeria’.
Speaking on the inconclusive elections,
the INEC chairman said, “The truth is that our elections are getting
better, they are also becoming competitive.
“By the same token, citizens are now
more confident that the votes really count. INEC will continue to ensure
that the credibility of our elections remain sacrosanct.
“Acts of thuggery, ballot box snatching,
wilful violation of guidelines and deliberate acts that void the card
reader will always attract sanctions.”
He explained that in one of the states,
where governorship election was conducted in 2012, the margin between
the winner and the runner-up was 417,000 votes.
“But today, the margin is 33,000 votes, which indicates that the election is getting better and more competitive,” he added.
Yakubu noted that the commission, under
his watch, had conducted four elections including two state assembly
elections in Plateau and Katsina states.
“We are satisfied with the processes and
procedures as well as the conduct of the elections. We have no major
problem with the deployment of logistics and personnel for the
elections,” he stated.
He, however, admitted that the
commission had encountered some problems in the operation and
configuration of the smart card readers with particular respect to the
biometric authentification of voters.
The INEC chairman said although the
reported cases were not substantial enough to mar the elections, the
commission was determined to ensure “that we address these challenges in
future elections at whatever level they might occur.”
He said the problems might be at the level of technology, staff training and handling of equipment by electoral officials.
Yakubu added, “We welcome suggestions
from Nigerians at large in this regard, bearing in mind that the smart
card reader is still a technology in its pioneering stage in our
elections but has already revolutionised our electoral process.
“We have already received reports from
Bayelsa that some people are saying they can’t vote without the card
readers. It is part of the process that has revolutionised our elections
and it has come to stay.
“And whatever we will do to make it better, we will do so.”
He insisted that the process of
declaration of winners of elections, as contained in the party’s
guidelines, would never be compromised.
“At the same time, the call for the
emergence of winners of elections, as contained in our guidelines, will
never be compromised. While the fresh poll is not met, we will apply the
provision of the guidelines as had been applied in the past,” he said.
He told the gathering that inconclusive
elections were not without precedence in the country, saying INEC had in
the past declared elections inconclusive to ensure the credibility of
the process.
He recalled that the electoral umpire had declared elections inconclusive in Taraba, Imo, Anambra and other states.
PUNCH.
No comments:
Post a Comment