President, VP take 50% off salary Nigerian president, Muhammadu Buhari and vice president, Yemi Osinbajo have slashed their salary by 50 per cent.
President Muhammadu Buhari and Vice President Yemi Osinbajo.
(Sesco Photography)
The duo announced their decision to take only 50 per
cent of the salary approved for them by the Revenue Mobilisation
Allocation and Fiscal Commission in a statement on Friday, July 10,
2015.
The statement, which was made available by the Senior Special Assistant to the President on Media and Publicity, Mallam Garba Shehu, revealed that Buhari would earn N7m per year throughout his four years tenure as against the approved N14,058,820.00 by RMAFC.
President Muhammadu Buhari meets with US Deputy Secretary of State, Anthony Blinken on July 8, 2015.
(Julie Blaise)
Shehu said the
President’s decision to cut his salary by half had been conveyed to the
Office of the Secretary to the Government of the Federation on Friday by
the Permanent Secretary of the State House, Nebolisa Emodi.
'That
voluntary action of the President is pregnant with meaning. It is a
message of sacrifice for national development. Since the President has
done this for himself, he is expecting that others will join him in
making sacrifices for their fatherland,' Shehu told Punch.
This
is coming barely three days after Buhari turned down an offer by the
Federal Government to procure five new armoured Mercedes Benz S-600
(V222) cars for his use.
No comments:
Post a Comment